Let’s Start Climbing Together

So last week I posted about how people view disability. I am feeling really inspired lately and thought I would write another blog post. I invite you to check out the following video. In the video you will meet Spencer West, a young man who was told he would never walk. He was told he would never be a functioning member of society, but made the choice to never give up. Spencer has no legs, but he does not let that stop him from having a vision and to pursue something he is passionate about. He and his friends decide to climb the largest mountain in Africa and through this process she learns different important lessons. One big lessons he learns is to ask for help. He explains that asking for help is not a sign of weakness ,but rather a characteristic that makes a strong leader. Everyone needs help, we are not expected to know everything. We all need supports from different people. Check out this video. I pretty much smile during the entire video. Leave a comment or two about your thoughts. 

Kelly

5 comments

1. Kelly,
    Thank you for sharing this video; it was awesome!
    Although there were many highlights in West’s talk, I loved his emphasis on there bing no shame in asking for help. This is huge; I have found that Uni and the profession of Ed. are all about collaboration and drawing from others experience. My favorite quote was, we must “give ourselves permission to ask for help”.
    Powerful stuff.
    Peace,

2. As I watch this video I can think of a student from my internship that would be so inspired. Throughout the time I spent with him, the biggest thing that I encouraged him to do was ask for help. He would spend so much time sitting at his locker reaching for something that he couldn’t get when one of his classmates was standing right next to him and could have easily helped him. However, I think that this student felt as though asking for help was a weakness. Although this video focuses on people with disabilities, I think that it is a powerful message for all of us – we cannot do everything on our own. Asking for help is a sign of a strong leader as Spencer states. What an inspirational message. Thanks for sharing; will be bookmarking this one to share with my students one day… Or maybe I should start a Padlet with these great videos? Hmm… 🙂

3. What an inspirational video. It makes you think that some students just need that extra little bit of encouragement to make it a success. I was very inspired by this post and the video. Thank you very much.